Wednesday, 1 January 2014

New Year - New Start

Happy New Year! A new year means the perfect time for a new start and a new approach to fabric and sewing which is why I'm joining up with this. I did a fabric diet for six months before and it was really successful and strangely liberating shopping my stash to get sewing.  This maybe just what I need to get some of those WIP's done and dusted!

Fabriholics Anonymous Button
 I read about it last time the lap top was on...a couple of days ago, then promptly forgot. Which explains why I bought the first fabric I've bought in ages earlier from Mary. But I did need that for a project I've got planned so we'll ignore it and pretend I actually bought it yesterday OK? To make up for it I'll do my evaluation on July 2nd instead of 1st.

So what have I agreed to:

GOALS:
- To use the Stash I already have!
- Finish UFOs without distraction by shifting to other new beautiful fabric.
- Stop the insanity of constantly buying the latest and greatest fabric.
- Save the $$ I spend on stashing.
- Destash the fabrics that I realize I am never going to use.
FABRIC FAST RULES:
1) No fabric purchases for 6 months beginning January 1, 2014.   
2) At 6 months reevaluate status and decide whether to keep going for full year.  Evaluation July 1, 2014.
3) Create a UFO list and complete them!
4) Exceptions
  • Backing: purchasing a backing to finish a quilt top is permissible.  However, attempting to use fabric in your possession for a backing is preferable.
  • Books and Magazine purchases are allowed as they are not fabric.  Notions acceptable too.
  • Swap Mama Fabric: if hosting a swap you are permitted to by fabric to execute swap duties, but you may not join a swap simply for the sake of being able to buy fabric!


So wish me luck. I think I may well need it!
FabAnon

8 comments:

  1. See it depends on what you want to make, I think. For quilts you can probably go for a long time using a wee bit here and a wee bit there, but for bags that's a bit more challenging as you generally need larger cuts. I think I'm not going to buy fabric for quilts, but for bags, err, I might need to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. here's to a year of using up fabric stashes. I am signed up for this too - it's got to be do-able!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. I am trying this too, also allowing for quilt backs and magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck :) hope you succeed!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I read every single one and love hearing what you have to say. I do my best to reply to every comment. Although sometimes that's not possible. :-)