So what did I learn this year, creatively speaking?
1. I am not super human. OK so I never really thought I was. From November 2012 right through to November 2013 life threw all kinds of things at me and sometimes I was left wanting. I left one bee I was in when it came to it's end and regretfully left the other bee part way through. It was not an easy decision to make. Letting people down is not a nice feeling. It's all too easy for people to say get your bee commitments sorted at the start of the month and avoid the stress when life gets hectic later in the month. But what if life is busy or your ill at the start of the month and doesn't let up from one month to the next? I tried to scale back other commitments too. Like I say, letting people down is no fun for anyone.
2. Most people were lovely if I was late or messed up commitments. To those who were not. I think it speaks more about your inadequacies rather than mine.
3. Vintage Sheets Rock! Mary has completely converted me. The first quilt I finished this year was made entirely from vintage sheets. I am already looking for ideas for my second and can't walk past a charity shop without checking to see what they have in the way of vintage bedding. I even dream I've found good sheets in charity shops!
4. HST's are the easiest thing in the world for me to stuff up. Ask me how I know. Or rather don't. I can't bear to think about it. Which is a shame because I've always wanted to make a traditional HST value quilt using left over charms and fabric entirely from stash.
5. Shaukat made me hyperventilate. I don't get into bricks and mortar fabric shops very often. I knew it would be good. I just didn't know it would be that good. I need to go back. I want to visit more bricks and mortar fabric shops.
6. Fat Quarterly Retreat was not what I expected. Not for the good stuff that happened or the not so good.
7. Sorting my WIP's during my recent declutter so they each have their own plastic bag and then putting them all in one big basket has shown me I have far more WIP's than I realised.
8. I am completely converted to Aurifil. (And probably the only person in blogland left to win one or score in a goody bag one of those sample packs.)
9. I learnt what a frixion pen is.
10. I am best not to make plans about what I will or won't make. The moment I do it doesn't go to plan. Like when I said I'd not be sewing before Christmas and then hand stitched these together. They're destined to become a cushion cover.
So here's to a fantastic 2014 - for us all! I have a milestone birthday coming up next month and I intend to drag out the celebrations all year. Doing something every month at least. I hope to fit some sewing in amongst the fun too.